This was an interesting project – making fabric jar candle covers. New candles aren’t the problem, it’s just after they’ve been used for awhile that they become a problem. The wax often burns unevenly, the wick breaks off and get stuck in the melted wax, the top of the jar often turns black, and there’s the company logo or writing on the outside of the jar. All of this can make them unattractive. Well, with these little “cozies” they are a lot more attractive. I tried a variety of techniques – elastic or ribbon at the top to make it fit the jar, appliqué a design on the front, and even sewing on some lace. The one with the lace is about half way burned and now when the candle is lit, the light shines right through the lace and was a delightful surprise. These also have a fabric bottom to protect the glass jar if it’s sitting on a hard surface. After I wrote up the directions, since I designed these myself, I mentioned to Kevin (my wonderful husband) that I hope there isn’t already a pattern on the market because I had the bright idea that I invented this myself! Here are the before and after pictures of the candles…
Saturday was a “Sew Day” with my sister, Janet, and my best friend, Shelley. The goal was to work on some quilt blocks for an exchange at the Indiana State Quilt Guild winter retreat. Each winter retreat the “back row ladies” (a group of wild and crazy gals) organizes some kind of quilt block exchange. At the 2011 winter retreat they choose to make these star blocks in batik fabrics which we will exchange at the 2012 retreat. This sounded great, but I didn’t have any batik fabrics – I know that must be difficult to imagine, so I spent all summer collecting fabrics. Then in the fall once sailing season was done I’d have plenty of time to whip up these blocks. Well, here it is just three weeks away from the retreat and I don’t have them done! A good way to get some focused quilting done is with friends! Janet already had hers done (the little project finisher that she is), but Shelley and I really needed some help. Shelley is using a method to sew triangles called Thangles and I used a method of sewing squares together then cutting them apart to make the triangles. Both methods turned out beautiful blocks! Here are some pictures of my blocks:
As of this post, I only have 4 more blocks to make. I will cut the sashings and borders before we leave for the retreat. At the winter retreat in Shipshewanna, IN, this wonderful group of ladies will exchange blocks and I will be able to set mine together into a quilt top. I’ve not worked with batik fabrics before and I’ve found this to be very interesting and a lot of fun!
It’s finished and it’s awesome! This quilt was made for my nephew, Matt, from his hockey jerseys. He’s played hockey from the youth leagues all the way through his senior year at North Central High School. My brother, Elwood, brought me 17 of Matt’s jerseys. Let me tell you that’s a lot of jerseys! He said to use them all and make it as big as possible. I did both. I used the front, back, and sleeves. Some of the youth jerseys I couldn’t use the sleeves (they were just too darn small), but some of the larger jerseys I got several blocks from the sleeves. Go figure. There were also six photographs transferred to fabric and included as quilt blocks.
Here’s the finished quilt. It measures 100”x104”. (takes up my entire living room floor!)
Close up of the center of the quilt. The black jersey with the green and white v-neck collar is Matt’s first jersey. Notice there is a team photo as well.
Each block was individually quilted and here’s a close up of one of the blocks.
Last weekend I delivered a t-shirt quilt to Debbie, my best friend who lives in Bloomington, IN. These were t-shirts from their family vacations at Bent’s Camp in Wisconsin. It turned out absolutely beautiful and she loves it! Each shirt was designed by a family member and includes the names of everyone who attended that year. I also included three pictures that were transferred onto fabric. Two pictures Debbie took herself and one was a picture her sister, Donna, colored and gave to her. I’ll post pictures in the next day or so, but wanted everyone to know that Debbie’s t-shirt quilt is done and delivered. I had a great time working on her quilt and I know it will be used and loved.
Have a great weekend!